Markup & Profit Revisited
In order to succeed in a construction business, you have to be able to price your jobs to cover all labor, material and overhead expenses, and make a reasonable profit. This book by Michael Stone covers the business basics of running a construction company, whether you're a general or specialty contractor working in remodeling, new construction or commercial work.
Here, you'll find tried and tested formulas that guarantee profits, with step-by-step instructions and easy-to-follow examples to help you learn how to make your business a success. You'll learn how to:
- Calculate your full overhead
- Price your work at the proper markup
- Maintain a stable cash flow
- Figure all your job costs
- Estimate your breakeven point
- Recognize warning signs in your business
- Compute a fair wage for yourself
- Collect on your work
The softcover book is autographed, 8-1/2" x 11", 336 pages.
The eBook is formatted for Nook and Kindle and other eReaders. The .mobi format is for Kindle readers. The .epub format is compatible with almost every other eBook reader and all Smartphones. If you order the wrong format, just let us know.
If you don't own an eReader or a smartphone with a reading app, eBook software is required if you plan to read this on your computer. Free software is available at calibre-ebook (our recommendation) or Adobe Digital.
Who is the target audience?
We recommend this book for all construction-related business owners. The information pertains to all specialties as well as general contractors, whether doing remodeling or building new homes, residential or commercial. The information is also been valuable for CPA's and accountants working with construction-related businesses. The focus is on the business, not on production or building jobs.
How will I get the eBook?
A download link for the eBooks will be available after placing your order. You will also receive a confirmation email with a download link.
What about forms?
Forms in the book can be downloaded online - download information is available within the book.
Listed below are forms mentioned in the book, "Markup & Profit; A Contractor's Guide, Revisited". These forms are provided for purchasers of the book only.
- Chart of Accounts (used by permission, from "Contractor's Guide to QuickBooks Pro 2012"), pdf format
- Unit Cost Estimating Worksheet (Figure 2-1)
- Overhead Expense Chart, Remodeling (Figure 2-4)
- Overhead Expense Chart, New Home (Figure 2-5)
- Overhead Expense Chart, Specialty (Figure 2-6)
- Quarterly Overhead Review, Remodeling (Figure 2-7)
- Quarterly Overhead Review, New Home (Figure 2-8)
- Quarterly Overhead Review, Specialty (Figure 2-9)
- Sample Notice of Right of Cancellation (Figure 7-1)
- Sample First Page of Contract (Figure 7-2)
- Sample Last Page of Contract (Figure 7-3)
- Sample Demolition and Discovery Agreement (Figure 7-4)
- Sample Subcontractor Contract (Figure 7-5)
- Sample Handyman Agreement (Figure 7-6)
- Job Completion Punch List (Figure 7-7)
- Sample Change Order Form (Figure 8-1)
Sample Insurance Proceeds (Figure 12-1)
- Note:All legal forms are samples only, and must be reviewed by your attorney before use to make sure they conform to the laws where you do business. The right of rescission, or right of cancellation form for your area is also available from Craftsman Books